Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Quick Rant

I had the "privilege" of emailing my old boss today...(the one who canned me back in May) because I need some of the company info for my job search down here.

She asked me if I had the baby yet. I said no, I miscarried this summer and left it at that. Do you know what I got back from her?

Ohhh, I’m so sorry. You’re young, just keep trying. Enjoy life!!

*sigh* Am I wrong in feeling like this was SOOOO insensitive? NO ONE in the world can fathom what a miscarriage is like...especially one with complications....that just.won't.end....unless they've been there, but I would NEVER say something like that to someone who had one...even if I hadn't experienced it myself. Maybe it's just me, but it really rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm done.

P.S. We totally got snow in North Cackalacky today!!!!!!!! WOOT!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think an "I'm sorry to hear that" would have sufficed.

Kas said...

Ugh. I mean, I'm sure she was just trying to upbeat and positive, but to me that response is like saying "Oh well, you can still get pregnant again" like its no big deal, when it IS a big deal. And I've never had a miscarriage, so I don't think you are being overly sensitive or anything. Sorry she sucks. :(

Ewww snow! haha Well, you seem excited about it, so I'll say congrats. Just keep it there. We don't want any here, thank you!

Cathy said...

She was totally insensitive. You lost a human being, something that can't be replaced no matter how long you live.

Ugh. People. Suck.

Jodi said...

Oh wow, that was definitely insensitive! Stupid people!

I can't believe you got snow in NC! We haven't gotten any here yet! Not that I'm jealous...I hate snow! You can have it all!

Jenny said...

Yeah, that was a pretty stupid response. I guess you can at least be glad that you don't work for her anymore!

Ann M. said...

I honestly think that people don't know WHAT to say. That doesn't justify her being an insensitive idiot, but I think she felt the need to say something (even if it was really stupid). Having been through it, I always felt like an "I'm sorry" was best, especially if they just shut up after that.

Try to take this as her poor attempt at sympathy and support, and as an affirmation that you should be thrilled you don't work for her anymore.

Me said...

Well, that wasn't very sensitive was it? I'm with Ann that most people have no idea what to say. I know there are times that I don't know what to say, but I like to think keeping it simple is better. Just an "I'm sorry" would have been better.

Hope you're having a great day!

Tiffany said...

That is a really insensitive comment. That must have been upsetting to hear.

As for snow we have had SOOOOO much here and it has finally gone!!! I hope we don't get any more this year! I hate being stuck at home!!!

Platinum Rose said...

Wow, that was a really insensitive, cruel comment from your ex-boss. I'm so sorry! Thank goodness you no longer have to work for that person anymore! And you're right, though I have no clue what it feels like to have gone through what you had to go through, I would definitely know better than to brush it off so easily like your boss did. It's a HUGE deal having a miscarriage, I can't believe they took it so lightly.

Heather said...

Extremely insensitive. I'm sorry she was so rude.

Love the pictures of the house! I'm glad the move went well.

Anonymous said...

I've missed you! It was so nice to catch up and see pictures of your new place! It was really, really nice.

I'm so sorry about what happened. I'm sure she didn't mean to be rude, but it certainly was.

I"m glad you're in and getting settled!

laurenjean said...

people are insensitive, end of discussion. i would like to think that it stops or ends at some point, but i am sorry to report that it does not.

Amy said...

how are things going?

Anonymous said...

Hey! I miss you.
How is everything going for you two?

Michelle said...

It was insensitive, you're right. I've found that most people don't know what to say in that situation, and usually end up saying something insensitive/hurtful in an effort to be "helpful" or "positive". I wish more people would learn that when in doubt, just say "I'm so sorry".

By the way, your new house looks great!