Thursday, August 21, 2008

This Summer

It’s Thursday and I feel beaten down, only because this summer is so close to coming to an end and I think subconsciously, my body knows it. I’m emotionally exhausted and with such strong emotions, my body tends to become sluggish at the end. Let’s re-cap, shall we?

Summer time lows: losing my job, a pregnancy that did not last, the D&C I had to have, my grandfather’s kidney’s are failing, Chris had to work more than ever….when I needed him the most, and his stress level has been through the roof, and our relationship with God has slipped

Summer highs: Finding out we were expecting, losing my job (that was never meant to be in the first place), finding out we are able to go to Maine at the end of the worst summer we have ever had together.

All in all, this summer hasn’t been what we expected, of course

Losing my job? Unexpected.
Pregnant the month before we were going to REALLY start trying? Unexpected.
Losing that life? Unexpected.
My grandfather? Expected at some point, but who could predict when?
My relationship with God? I just don’t even know.
Maine? COMPLETELY unexpected.

There have been tears shed smiles shared. But do you know what the best thing about this summer has been? My relationship with my love, my man, my partner, my soul mate,…..my husband…...has been tested time and time again, and through it all…..we are better for it.

We have grown so much closer together through all of this turbulence. Going to Maine with Chris is going to be a fresh start for us, a new beginning to what I hope is an incredible autumn season. It’s going to be a renewal of faith and the building of a marriage that has been pulled and poked one too many times this summer.

I’ve learned a lot over the past few months.

I’ve learned that I am stronger than I ever thought I was. I’ve learned that my husband is stronger than he ever thought too. I’ve also learned that self-reliance is not the answer and that keeping things inside only hurts more. Talking about it helps heal….even if it means the one closest to you sees you in your weakest moments with tears streaming down your face. I’ve learned that life is precious. I’ve always said that, but realizing it and truly believing it are completely different than just knowing it. I’ve learned to accept change. Sometimes you don’t have a choice. I’ve learned that love can’t conquer all, but it sure as heck can help it get better and it did.

There is something in the air today…….

24 comments:

Cakabaker said...

Alicia, I hope you and Chris have a great time in Maine, relax and reconnect. Hope you are feeling better every day!

Platinum Rose said...

What a beautiful post! I am so happy you two will get to finally spend some quality time together. You've had a crazy summer, and you guys need some good alone time, to just reflect on it all, and your marriage. Isn't a strong, wonderful marriage, to a wonderful man, one of life's absolute BIGGEST blessings? Such a wonderful thing.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are trying to find the sunshine in things...God will always help us find our way. Enjoy your trip - it will be amazingfor you, I just having a feeling. :O)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you and Chris are going to have time to reconnect and relax. THAT truly is just so important.
You two have had such an emotionally exhausting summer, I can totally understand how your relationship with God would begin to slip. I hope you're able to reconnect with God when you're on vacation with Chris as well. If only we could know His plan for us - we never know why we have to go through the things we do. I am sorry you have had to go through so much hurt this summer, but I am glad to hear you learned so much about yourself and come out stronger.

xoxo!

erin said...

Thank you for sharing sweetie. I know some of those emotions you're feeling, I really do.

I will be praying that your time in Maine will be rejuvenating, relaxing and more importantly, providing the opportunity for you and Chris to just be you and Chris...

I'm always here if you need someone to talk to!

Love,
Erin

Anonymous said...

awww. What an encouraging post that was! I am so blessed to read you! heehee. You have such a great attitude and you have certainly "made lemonade" with what you were dealt these past few months. I know God is smiling at His daughter, even though you feel far away. I've been feeling that way too, lately. Draw near to Him, He will pull you to Him.

Life's A Beach said...

You and Chris haven't lost your path/way to God, you've just found a different route. Re-discovering each other the way you have is what God wanted to happen right now. He's not worried about being a little behind the scenes temporarily. You'll bring him around front and center again when it's the right time for all of you.

I so can't wait to read your posts about Maine. I hope it's a wonderful trip!!! I know it will be...fall in Maine is the BEST!!

The Robbins Nest said...

well said and just beautiful! Have a great time in Maine! Can't wait to hear all about it :)

LCP said...

What a great reflection, and I am glad you shared it with us. I really hope for you and Chris to have a wonderful new start on your trip to Maine!!

Have a great weekend.

Theresa said...

What a thoughtful post, very thought provoking. i hope you have a wonderful time in Maine!

Jodi said...

What a wonderful post!!! I hope you two have a fabulous time in Maine, and then have a WONDERFUL fall together!

You're a very strong gal!!!

Jenny said...

You are so right. You have a very strong wonderful relationship and that can last you through the hardest of times. I hope the fall starts to turn around for you both.

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love when you walk away from sitautions feeling like you've really learned something from the experience. Growth.
What can you not face and conquer now?

Have a fabulous trip to maine sweets.

Heather said...

I'm so glad you and Chris will have that time to reconnect. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Kristen Miller said...

I'm so glad to read this post today. I really needed to hear a lot of that myself. You and Chris have been through too much in such a short time. You are an amazing couple. You are a strong and courageous woman. Thank you for always making me realize my blessings. I am so happy that you get to take this trip together. I can't wait to hear about it.

Love,
Kristen

RecoveringCoffeeholic said...

I am glad that you and your husband are stronger through this.

Not to sound cliche, but God really has blessed your relationship hasn't he?

Blessings to you!

Jenny said...

It's great to hear that you're learning so much from the terrible summer and choosing to see it as life's lessons. I hope you and Chris have an amazing time in Maine and I look forward to hearing all about it!

laurenjean said...

a very up and down summer indeed - but your view on how youve come up on the other end is very hopeful. amazing how somethings can remind you of how strong you really are, how strong your marriage is. learning life is precious and to accept change is hard, i know, but its all true.
youre comment made me smile - and i am proud to have known you as long as i have!!!!!
*****big hugs******

Anonymous said...

Love the new layout, sweetie!

Me said...

Hey Alicia,

I haven't "talked" to you in a while, so I thought I'd check in. I love the new look of your blog. But is fall really coming? Does it have to? :( Hope all is well.

Jodi said...

I love the new picture at the top!!! You two are a beautiful couple!

Life's A Beach said...

I totally love that picture of you and hubby. You look so happy.

It is nice to be back in touch with you again, too!

Your trip to Maine is coming right up. Have some haddock and "lobstah" for me!!

Me said...

Just checking in on you. Are you doing well?

Jenn (Life's Sweet Melody) said...

It's been a while. I hope you're doing ok!