Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hello!

My goodness… I guess I’ve been busy!
So let’s get to it, shall we?

Work was incredibly crazy for about two weeks. I was working on a proposal, which was a lot bigger than what this company is used to working on. It took up every single moment I had and gave me migraines, but alas……it’s over! Whew.

On to more important things.

This past weekend, Chris and I went to a Christian marriage retreat called Weekend to Remember. It is put on by Family Life. I urge every single married couple out there to go to this. It.Was.Simply.INCREDIBLE! They have 160 a year…all over the country.

www.familylife.com

Go there, check it out. Chris and I came back with a renewed marriage and a MUCH better understanding of God’s design for us as husbands, wives, mothers and fathers! We laughed, we cried, we loved, we grew closer and most importantly, we concentrated on our love for our Lord.

Here is a breakdown of the book you use.


I. Why marriages fail
II. Can we talk (communication)
III. Unlocking the mystery of marriage
IV. From How to Wow
V. What every marriage needs
VI. Rules of engagement (conflict)
VII. Marriage after dark (sex)
VIII. Woman to woman and man to man (separate rooms)
IX. How marriages thrive
X. Putting a stake in the ground


They have a resource center with all of the books they recommend. Being the book nerd that I am, I walked away with plenty! You also have projects you do. One was writing a love letter. WOW. What an impact it has. They give you guidelines that you can use.

We also talked about praying together. Did you know that the US divorce rate is over 50%? Did you also know that couples who regularly pray together have a divorce rate of less than 1%? Read that again.

There were couples ranging from newly engaged (and they have break-out sessions for them) to couples that have been married 50+ years! Our oldest couple had been married for 44 years!
Incredible. I will write a long, long post on this when I’m not at work because I have a lot more to say on the conference.

Please, just check it out. It is WELL worth the money! We agreed that it is the GREATEST thing we have done for our marriage so far and we are going back every few years.

I also have a TON of pictures to download and post. You may see picture posts for a while. I just have so much to share!

Anywho….tonight, I have to ship out my Spring Sprung package…this is the first chance I’ve had! BOOOO me.

I hope all of you are doing wonderfully and I will be slowly, but surely catching up!

xoxo

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!
I'm so glad to have you back! :)

That marriage retreat sounds awesome. I'll have to look into it and see if they come to Canada as well. I'm definitely trying to re-focus on my marriage and be a better wife.

I can't wait for you to post more on it - and to see pictures!!

xoxo

Kristen Miller said...

I was wondering what the heck had been going on with you! ;) I'm glad to hear that work has settled some and hopefully that means the migranes have stopped. I'll definitely have to check out that retreat. I can't wait to hear more about it when you have time to write.

Anonymous said...

Good for you...it's always good to keep it going strong when you want it to!! xo

LCP said...

I have wanted to attend that retreat for a couple of years now. Next year...put it on the calendar.

Glad you enjoyed it...sounds awesome!!

RecoveringCoffeeholic said...

Glad that the Lord really blessed your time with hubby. Prayer is so crucial in marriage. It's awesome how Gods hand really does lead us in the way that is so blessed for our relationships.

Anonymous said...

Alicia, I'm so glad the retreat went great for you and Chris...I'm so happy that you guys came away with a lot to learn and apply to your marriage. Yay for you guys!!!!

I'll email you...

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I have heard the Family Life retreats are awesome. I am really happy for you both - that you were able to go!

-Andrea

erin said...

Matt and I have wanted to go to that retreat for a couple of years, but it hasn't ever worked out. Next year, we'll definitely have to go! It's so good to get an update from you!! I've missed you!

Hope you're having a great day!

Love,
Erin

Heather said...

I've been wondering about you! It sounds like you had a good time at the retreat. I'm going to look into it for Craig and I. I've always wanted to go to one but we never have.

Can't wait to see pictures!

Cathy said...

I was wondering where you had disappeared to!

Glad you had fun at the retreat!

My picture post was on 4/16. It's got a password, but there's a post that day with the link to it. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

We went 2 years ago and it was so wonderful!! The book was different then, but so helpful and for all you ladies thinking about going, check with your church to see if they are doing a group rate whent he conference in your area comes around... you can usually save about $80 that way... Such a great ministry!! Thanks for your wonderful testimony about it! So true about praying together too.... we do and it has saved our marriage!

audreybreier said...

I really want to go to one of those marriage retreats...they've had 2 here just recently (in the past year or 2). We didn't go to either one, but I want to go to the next one. After reading your post, we will definitely be going to the next one! It sounds amazing and something that will help rejuvinate our marriage! Thanks for telling us about it..I can't wait to hear more!

audreybreier said...

I just looked at the website and there's on in St. Louis in November and we are going to plan on going to that! I'm very excited!! I just wish it were sooner than November!

Michelle said...

The retreat sounds interesting. Can't wait to hear more about it. I wish Pete would do stuff like that with me. He's so against things like that...it makes it hard sometimes. :(

Tiffany said...

Glad you're back. The retreat sounded like a lot of fun. I can't believe what a difference in the divorce rate between couples who pray together. Wow!

laurenjean said...

hey sweetie!
i have been gone for a bit and am trying to catch up with all my ladies...and feeling very behind ;-(
anyways, i am so happy that you guys have a wonderful time at the retreat and that you were able to experience that together...it sounds like an amazing experience.

i hope to not be gone so long again, but never doubt that i am thinking of you and hope everything is well!!

Jodi said...

That retreat sounds awesome!!! How great that you two were able to share that time together!!!

Glad you're back!