Friday, June 08, 2007

DOVER Baby!

Autism Speaks 400
Saturday June 2, 2007
Busch Series
And guess who won? Of course, my #60 (Busch Series), Carl Edwards. Do I love Carl? Yes. Do I cheer for Carl? Yes. Do I love him more than any of the other "Edheads" out there? Quite possibly.
Carl's #60 Busch Series Ford Fusion
Carl after he won the 200 lap Busch series race on Saturday


Any idea why I love this man? Because he has the endurance of a camel in 150 degree heat in the middle of the desert. Who does a freaking back flip off of his car after running 400 laps at the Monster Mile in a 140 degree car? yeah....that would be Carl. :-)

Sunday June 3, 2007
Nextel Cup
Sunday morning, we wake up (knowing full well all day Saturday that we were probably going to have a rain delay) at 6 am as planned. We were staying in the Ocean City MD area. We watched the weather channel in hopes that the weather would break and we would get to see a race! It didn’t look good at all, but alas, we STILL went to the track 1.5 hours away in hopes that it would break enough to see some action. As we were walking in, the flyover came. YUM….I am IN LOVE with those beautiful jets...always have been. I said my normal “Seriously, I would give my right arm to fly in one of those and I would throw up all over myself and enjoy every single second of it!” We hung out at the track in the rain for hours and listened to the dryers on the track in hopes that the rain would stop long enough to get some laps underway. That, unfortunately, never happened. They called the race around 2:30 after the sky unleashed its fury. Green flag was rescheduled to drop at 12:00 on Monday. As we waited for the rain to let up under the bleachers, we ate a Grotto pizza. The rain never did let up, and we ended up walking to the cars in pouring down rain. Not too bad until I sat in my soaked clothes for 2 hours on the ride home. After we all got dried off, we went to Smitty McGee’s for dinner. I had hot tea and a French dip. It was excellent.
Monday June 4, 2007
Nextel Cup

As Monday morning quickly approached, we all woke up at 6 again (I know that 6 may sound incredibly early to a lot of you for a race, but I get up at 4 every single day for work, so sleeping until 6 was a treat!). It was a bit cloudy, but all looked good for a green flag at noon….I was so excited! Once again, we packed everything up and headed for Dover. We made it to the track with pretty good parking spaces. We made our way in to the track and sat there for about an hour. My Dad (an avid Kasey Kahne fan) and I were getting ready to have our first NASCAR That’s why I am such a Daddy’s girl….we can talk about this stuff while my Mom looks at us as if we have 2 heads.

Noon quickly approached and the driver introductions were announced followed by the prayer (which I love!) and the national anthem. I, of course, was decked out in my pink #99 hat. Hey, a girl has to have her pink! Then it came, “gentlemen, start your engines!” Then I got them…..the goose bumps I ALWAYS get when those beautiful engines start up. Oh, the things I would give up to ride in a stock car….with Carl of course because he is my driver and the only one I would trust with my life. As the green flag dropped, I proceeded to stare intently at the #99 Office Depot Ford Fusion for the next 400 laps. Cheering on Carl as he drove by me at 150 mph was a thrill to say the least….as it always is. Carl ended up finishing in 3rd, but I was pretty happy with that. He ran well all day!

The gang

My second love, Carl Edwards in his #99 Ford Fusion

Dover International Speedway

my Mom and I

my parents

Chris' parents

Chris and I

Yes, Carl is in there!
All in all, race weekend at Dover was excellent. Although, between the Grotto pizza and the tailgating food and the dinners out, I have some serious working out to do! I don’t normally eat like that…ugh!
Other than the race weekend, things have been pretty status quo around here. normal. getting up early, working, coming home, etc.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun!! I like Nascar too... I am a Jimmie Johnson fan, but that Carl Edwards is a hottie!!

That's so neat that you got to go to a race. I would love to go to one some day... maybe Daytona, since that's the closest one to me, and the BIG ONE!!

Unknown said...

That sounds like SOO much fun! I'm definitely more of a Formula 1 girl than a NASCAR girl, but I can certainly appreciate the chills and goosebumps from watching a race. This weekend is the Canadian Grand Prix from Montreal (yippee!) DH and I have dreams to one day attend an F! race....hopefully in Monaco! Maybe I'll get to see NASCAR one day too! :-)

Becca said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! More fun, more fun!!!

Have a lovely day!

Platinum Rose said...

I'm so glad you had a great time, and your favorite guy won the race!!!

Lis said...

I am glad you has such a great time!!! Also, that your guy won!!!
I am also glad to see you on here posting woman....ha,ha!!!

Love, Lis xo

Life's A Beach said...

How fun. My family are huge Nascar fans, too. For my dad's birthday my brother and I got him 2 tickets to the race in Louden in September. He's so excited!

*Tina* said...

Oh how fun! I went to a nascar race a few years back at the Michigan International Speedway.. we had pit passes and so we got to walk across the track and take all sorts of pictures. It was such an experience!! Im a Jimmie Johnson gal..

:-)

Anonymous said...

I was blog stalking you a bit the last few days- I"m glad you're back! :) I'mso glad you had a great time. The pictures turned out wonderful! It looked like a great trip.

Michelle said...

I'm not a big racing fan (do you call it that??) but it sure does look like you guys had a ton of fun!
That's cool that you get to go to a race and that all of you enjoy it. :)
Good to see you are coming back to us...I know you're busy though. How're you doing on your Swap?? Mine's all set and ready to mail! I had so much fun with this...I'll def sign up for another should Jenny and Mrs. M host another one!