Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Gonad

UPDATE: Gonad passed away this evening after I came home from work. I don't want to get in to specifics because my heart is hurting too much. She did not go peacefully as I had hoped. I was there and all I could do was hold her as she screamed. It hurts so bad.

Today, I don't have good news. Chris and I had to take Gonad to the emergency vet last night.
She hasn't been eating or drinking right and she hasn't been (for lack of better terminology) pooping.
At first, the vet thought that she had a hairball, so he did an x-ray to verify. Well, what we found out what surprising and scary.

We found out that her chest is full of fluid, she has a mass under one of her nipples and she is all clogged up in her GI tract.
The vet gave her an antibiotic, a shot to help clear out her chest, fluid under her skin so she doesn't dehydrate and a mass of meds for us to administer to her.
I have been feeding her baby food and water.
The vet tapped her chest and pulled some fluid for analysis. We should know something this week. He is having it analyzed for tumor cells. It may be cancer that has spread, but it also may be a very very very bad infection. Her chest was so full of fluid, he couldn't see anything else.

I know that she is in pain because I could see it in her wincing eyes and arched back last night. What is a furmommy to do to help her furbaby?

You all know how incredibly much I love this rabbit. She is near and dear to my heart. I laid on the floor with her last night and just cried to her and told her that I love her and not to leave me. I asked Chris if he thought it was OK to pray about Gonad. He said of course, and so I did. I am.
She is such a big part of what got me through the tranistion of moving from my parents house to DC with Chris.
I love that rabbit more than I can say. She is a part of our family. Our WHOLE family.

Please say a prayer today for Gonad. My sweet little girl is so sick and it is hurting my heart.

24 comments:

audreybreier said...

Aww, Alicia, I'm so sorry! Your post actually made me cry. I'm so sorry about Gonad! I'll pray that whatever is wrong with him will end up being nothing too serious. I can only imagine what you're going through. If anything ever happened to Scoop, I'd be reacting the same way. I'm thinking about you!

Cathy said...

Oh no! I really hope it's just an infection that they can get cleared up, and soon. It's so hard having a sick animal - they can't tell you what hurts. I hope she's better soon.

Kristen Miller said...

Alicia, I'm so sorry to hear about Gonad. That's so sad. Of course you should be praying for her...and I will too. I'm sorry she's in pain. Please keep us updated. Big Hugs!

Heather said...

Oh Alicia, I'm so sorry! Our cat was attacked and killed by a neighbor dog at my IL's a few months ago and it was awful! Pets become a part of your family.

Again, I'm so sorry.

Unknown said...

Alicia, I am so sorry to hear that Gonad passed away! My heart hurts so much right now for you and Chris. I'm so sorry.

erin said...

Oh Alicia, sweetie, I'm so sorry. I am praying for you and Chris and I pray that God will give you peace and comfort right now. I am so sorry.

Love,
Erin

Jenn (Life's Sweet Melody) said...

I'm so sorry! My thoughts & prayers are with you.

Tina said...

I'm so sorry Alicia! I will be praying for you...it is awful to lose a member of your family. I will pray that the Lord will give you His great comfort.

Me said...

What sad news to start the morning! I'm so sorry to hear about Gonad, Alicia. I know how much you loved her. I'll be keeping you and Chris in my prayers. Take care.

Cathy said...

I'm so sorry ...

Anonymous said...

I am so, so sorry! Rabbit, dog, cat...they're all a part of our family & it hurts so bad when we lose one! AND, I firmly believe there's an "animal heaven", so at least now you know Gonad's up there without pain! I'm thinking about you guys.

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry Alicia. I know how completely our pets become our family and consume our hearts, and I know just how much your heart hurts. I will pray that you and Chris find strength in each other and comfort in the many memories you share of Gonad. I'm so very sorry.

cdsbutterfly said...

I am so sorry about what you are going through.

Tiffany said...

I am SO sorry to hear the news about Gonad. I hate to hear stories about animals in pain or hurt and your story just broke my heart.

Cakabaker said...

Alicia - I am sooo sorry to hear about Gonad, I know how much she meant to you and Chris. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Platinum Rose said...

Alicia, I am so sorry to be reading this news. I do know how much you love Gonad, and I am so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you. There are no words I could possibly say to make any of your pain go away. Losing a family member is so incredibly tough and I am so sorry.

Beth G said...

So sorry to hear of your loss, take heart in the memories you made with her.

Anonymous said...

:( I said a prayer for you guys. I imagine how much you hurt right now, and I wish I could make it better. I pray this weekend brought you relaxation and comfort. I'm thinking about yout. Please keep us posted.

Jodi said...

I am sooo sad for you! I hope you're doing okay!!! It's so hard to lose a pet, they're family!!!! I'll be praying that your heart is healed soon!!!

Oh and hey....I may be venturing out to DC!!!!!

Platinum Rose said...

Thinking about you!

Mrs. Taco said...

I am so sorry to read about your loss. :o( I pray that your heart heals quickly. I'll be thinking of you.

C-Rah said...

Aw, Lic, I am so so sorry to hear about this. I know much your heart is hurting right now and my thoughts are with you.

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Oh Alicia, I am so sorry about your sweet Gonad. I can tell she was incredibly special and an integral part of your life.
I lost my beloved bunny as a teenager and it hurt more than words could say.
Much love to your hurting heart, Alicia.

-Andrea

The Robbins Nest said...

oh no Alicia!! I am so sorry to hear about your little gonad. My thoughts are with you