Monday, July 16, 2007

The Idiot that is Me

Can I just tell you all how wonderful my husband was yesterday when I made a major bobo!? Chris handles the finances in our house. Of course I know what is going on, but he is just much much better with it than I am. Well, long story short….I attempted my hand at balancing the checking account since he wasn’t home on Saturday morning ( I had to get groceries) and I forgot to enter 2 major purchase receipts in Quicken (because we don’t have it linked to our bank accounts online right now) and proceeded to go get groceries. Needless to say, I was over by what I think is quite a bit. I really really thought that Chris was going to seriously kill me forbeing so careless. I always tell him how I want to help more and learn more about “doing money” as we call it. So, this time, since we were in desperate need of food, I took it upon myself and BAM! I screwed up! Guys, I felt so dumb.
Chris is always pretty hard when it comes to money and how we spend it. He hates how we spend money (and so do I….I curse Starbucks for pulling me in and making me become highly addicted to Sugar-free Venti Skim Caramel Machiatto’s). So, I woke up out of a sound sleep at 5:30 Sunday morning because somehow I realized what I had done. Panicked…..I crept out of bed, HOPING that I was wrong and I was just dreaming. HA! Joke was one me, because I was dead right. I went over the balance in my account. So, I sat down at the computer for a good hour and racked my brain on how I could fix this. I was so upset with myself I was in tears…..at 5:30 in the morning….ON A SUNDAY!!!!! Well, I started to clean (I always do when I’m mad, or anxious about something) and I was thinking about how I am going to break it to Chris that I am such a dumb butt when I ALWAYS make a big deal of wanting to help more with money. It was torture for the next 2 hours. I went back in to our bedroom to take a bath to try to calm down because at this point, I was ready to bang my head against a wall. Well, I went in the bathroom and came back out a minute later because I realized I had forgotten my towels. Chris had his eyes open and told me to crawl in bed with him….so I did, trying to muster up the courage to tell him what an idiot I am.
He knew right away that something was bothering me. We talked for a while about some usual topics….our lifestyle and how one day (in like 10 years) he wants to become a poker professional so I can retire before I am 40, lol. Typical stuff. Then I finally said “Honey, I made a big bobo” and I told him everything…..up and through the solutions I came up with….including returning a few shirts I bought at Target.
Guys, he was SOOOOOOO calm and understanding! He told me that I was being too hard on myself and that we can fix it no problem. But I was still really upset with myself and I explained to him why.
Chris is just the best….he knew I was really upset.
Anyway, just wanted to share that.
Have a wonderful Monday ladies……I’m going to buy a new laptop tonight….WOOT!

11 comments:

audreybreier said...

I hate when we make mistakes in our checkbook, too! It can be so stressful!! I'm glad Chris was understanding! You guys will be able to fix it and it won't be a problem :)

Enjoy your new laptop!

Anonymous said...

that's great that he was so understanding and comforting. doesn't it always seem like when we think they are going to be mad at us, they aren't, and then when we think something is no big deal, they are pissed beyond reason?? just an observation.

have a great week!

Kristen Miller said...

Yikes! Bank errors are the worst. I'm so glad your sweet hubby was so understanding. There's nothing worse than someone griping at you when you already feel awful.

Hopefully next time you'll have better luck "doing money". ;)

Joyce said...

Awww...what a sweetie!

Jodi said...

awwww! Atleast he was understanding! I hate it when I make mistakes like that...one where I feel like I"m gonna look like a total fool! Glad he handled it well!!!

The Robbins Nest said...

I do it too..this is why E handles the finances. I am so glad that everything worked out. Enjoy the new laptop!!!

Becca said...

It's so great that you want to be involved in the finances! It really is something both spouses should be on top of. I keep the checkbook balanced and Brad helps once in a while, though is always informed on where we're at. Usually I try to keep a cushion in the account for times like those when a receipt is missing or numbers get mixed up.

Earlier in our marriage I handed all the finances over to Brad, told him the way he's spending money freaks me out so he can take care of it. It really opened his eyes to how fast money can fly out the door. During that time he went in to have his wisdom teeth pulled out and was put to sleep for the procedure. I had to write a $300 check to walk out the door and wasnt sure if we had that in the account (I had the checkbook with me but it wasnt balanced). On the way home I realized we'd be cutting it really close and asked him if he was awake and "all there" enough to balance the checkbook. He did and said we had just enough to cover the check. The next day he didnt even remember doing that, or the ride home at all! I freaked out. We were overdrawn, but someone was holding a check so we werent overdrawn. Anyway, long rambling story. Sometimes it takes two to keep the checkbook balanced. ;)

I'm so glad your husband handled the hiccup so well. =)

Have a lovely day!

Platinum Rose said...

I am so glad that he was very understanding and not mad at all. Everyone makes mistakes! I am the Quicken person in our house, and ours is not tied to the internet either. He gives me receipts and pays bills, I make sure it all balances out in Quicken. But just about 2 weeks ago, I made an error and forgot to enter in a transaction, went to Target, and overspent by about $15. I was so mad at myself! But my DH was fine with it. He's made the same mistake before, too. It happens!

Mrs. Taco said...

Wow, I would be the same way you were! Anthony is very particular about money as well and whenever I make a mistake I always feel bad too. I'm glad you have such a wonderful hubby and that everything worked out okay. :o) Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I "quicken" too ... I had mine tied to the online banking but I prefer to enter it myself so I "untied" it from the online banking.

audreybreier said...

The school I'm using is www.at-homeprofessions.com I can give you more info if you want to email me. If you started now, you could definately be done with the school in 9 months. It doesn't take long..I wish I were done already but having Cade put me behind a little :) Anyway, my email address is audreybreier@gmail.com If you email me, I'll send you more info on it!